by Judith Curry
The ‘best of 2015’ lists are starting to appear.
Here is a roundup of what I have spotted so far.
The top climate stories are about politics and policies, and extreme weather events (no science)
- Wired: The most important climate stories of 2015
- Carbon Brief: Climate News 2015
- Eco-business: The top 5 carbon and climate stories in 2015
And now for the science:
- RealClearScience: The (Ultimate) Top Ten Science Stories of 2015 (Paris makes #5)
- Ranker: Greatest Scientific Breakthroughs of 2015
- Science: 2015 Breakthroughs of the Year
Discover Magazine: Top 100 stories of the year
- #4 Climate at the Crossroads (Paris)
- #14 Hot answer to a solar mystery
- #25 Antarctica under siege by hidden forces
- #30 West scorches as drought intensifies
- #31 Fiery 2015 may become the new normal
- #43 CO2 time bomb from thawing permafrost more like a slow leak
- #84 No, tropical deforestation rates are not falling
These are pretty spectacular, well worth a click
- NewYorker: The year in fungi 2015 (this is actually interesting)
- Live Science: Top weird science in 2015
Very few stories from climate science (rather than politics or extreme event taxonomy) have made it into these lists.
I remember the heady days when actual climate science would make it into the Discover Magazine’s top 100 list [papers I coauthored landed on two of these lists: 2005 (#1) and 2009 (#47)].
Your choice for top climate SCIENCE story of the year?